3/18/2010

My new family (for awhile)


Sat. Feb. 27th, 2010
Today was my first full day with my host family. They are a great family, and they have had plenty of other volunteers stay here with them so they are quite used to speaking slowly and our customs, which is great. There is Edwin and Maggie and their 2 kids Pacha and Michaila. We live on a large farm in a little town outside of Cayambe. They have a very cute farmhouse that has 3 stories, but is still kinda small, especially in comparison to what we have back in the States. I have electricity and running water that can be hot. I have my own room which is bigger than at least one of the houses I have lived in. I wake up in the morning with a beautiful view of the Cayambe volcano and other mountains. The town itself is nice, small, but nice. There are enough stores and places to buy things, there are also cabinas (telephone booths, kind of), so at some point I will be able to call home; when we’re not busy learning to language and doing other Peace Corps training things. This whole experience is rather daunting now that I’m here and immersed in the culture and language. The culture part isn’t as hard to adjust to, but for me the language is giving me lots of problems. I just find it so difficult to remember all the words and just speaking is proving to be an enormous challenge for me. I’m trying, but I’m worried it’s just not enough. But, I have only been here for 1 ½ weeks, so I think I just need to give it time, and keep working hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment